Monday, June 12

Greetings from Hotlanta 2

Hi Guys,

Still here and lurrrrrvin it!

Went to an underground poetry night last night and it was fabuloso!!!!!!!! There is sooo much talent in Atlanta here. Whilst alot of poetry in UK is deemed as a place where older blokes in chourderoy jackets and innapropriate jeans hang out, this experience was the total opposite, Trendy folk from all over america, reciting poetry reflecting their angst at the world today. An eye opener and totally riveting. At one point, the MC shouted "Who's traveled the longest to be here tonight?" some poor sap said "New York!" to which my competative streak replied "England!" To my horror/delight the MC then said I should come up and collect a prize!!!! Which I did (a lovely smelly candle) whilst wishing I had worn something a tad more flattering...

One thing that has surpised me here, is the apparent harmony. Across the road from a heart thumping club full of young people dancing to the latest southern rap group, was an open male gay club. Across from that, a group of four rather manly women trotted on heels higher than the empire state building, quite openly. As they accosted us, it was clear to see they were men in skirts. And lipstick. Such unity! For some strange reason though they asked us if we had any marijuanna????!!!!
Err... NO!!!
I'm a clean living British girl thank you very much!! I seemed to bond with the only man not dressed in a leather mini skirt. Perhaps he's not into women's clothing I hear you cry... But he did have on a blob of neatly appllied lipstick... (I should have asked him for tips as mine aways ends up on my teeth!)

After yet another mall during the day (am almost bankcrupt - so many nice things and oh, the exchnge rate is soooo right....) we did The Cheescake factory. Ohmigosh!!!! It was fab. This beautiful building filled with all the cheescake flavours you could ever think of. Hunky valet attendants too. Instead of pigging out on half of them, I remained very British and reserved and just stuck to one - with chiken wings and celery sticks of course.... NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALING ABOUT (OK, I am begining to even type in American). You see I really want to move here guys. So much so, my need was read by a stranger whilst I was busy purchasing a 12 pack of smooth dohnuts in Publix the other day (Atlanta's answer to Tesco). I got talking to one of the staff. Told her (in jest) that I'd lurrrve to live here and she beckoned the manager over who then proceeded to tell me about the great benefits the company offers. I WAS BEING INTERVIEWED ON THE SPOT. Being terribly British, I couldn't just correct them, oh no... I had to wait patiently, as he reeled off all he had to, as my dohnuts began to wilt. What with Greencards and that little problem of having no place to live, It probably seems a bit of a longshot.
Plus, once I get back into the swing of things back home, job, annoying dates, bad weather, i'll forget all about it... wont I...?

As i envisaged my waistline getting bigger by the end of the week, decided to get the obligatory 'lounge by the pool bit' over and done with. Also sat in the hot tub as the sun blased around me. Yes, I am a woman of colour but this beautiful sun has added another shade to my skin, most definately... Where I was a weak milk chocolate before, a lil' bit more cocoa has now been mixed in, darkening the mix a little (yep, crap analogy, but you get my drift hopefully).

Talking of food (again) I have also experienced a full, fresh lobster to myself (with the obligortary buscuits, corn bread et al) all for aroung $20 (around 12 quid!). I'd be lucky to get a lobster tail for that price in london (Vegetarians, I'm sorry!!!! for this,
but I wasnt cruel enough to pick out the lobster though - I couldn't do that.)


Have bought quite a few books. I can stay in the bookshops for hours, although I missed the addition of small independant bookshops I remember from Santa cruz California circa 1997. Bigass multinationals just dont thrill me. Anyway, i now have a soul food and southern cookbook (have never cooked form a cookbook before, but I just love southern food now, gotta try em).



No comments: